- Client – Feel Good Fitness
- Industry – Fitness
- Date – September – November 2022
I am a Digital & Social Media Marketing Strategist that has been working with my client, Feel Good Fitness, for the past 5 years. The owner, Vincent Houle believes in giving back to his community. To celebrate his 5-year business anniversary, he wanted to take his philanthropic beliefs to the next level.
We decided on raising money for a non-profit called Gamers Outreach. They build GO Karts which are portable video game kiosks built specifically for hospital patients who have a limited amount of access to activities outside of their rooms. I then created the “Brews, Bites, & Biceps” Campaign, which was an online fundraiser for the entire month, leading up to the 5-year anniversary event where people would get to work out with the owner, have both local food and beer vendors, plus a giveaway with multiple prizes. The overall idea would be to have the campaign raise enough money to have Gamers Outreach build one GO Kart and have it donated to a local hospital called Valley Children’s Hospital.
The owner is also a local fitness influencer. Having been active in the community, he has gained over 1,200 followers on his Instagram account. His followers are quality over quantity. When he asks them to do something, they listen. Having seen this consistently happen over the years for other events and marketing promotions, I knew the campaign had a high probability of success. There was no budget as I did this pro-bono, and the timeline was September to November 2022.
The overall goal was to create awareness about both the online fundraiser and the anniversary event.
From there, my measurable objectives were to;
- Raise $3,500 for Gamer’s Outreach within a month. (This was the cost to build one GO Kart)
- Have 20 people attend the anniversary event.
Below are the strategies and tactics that I used.
- Social Media Marketing: I created several short-form videos about the fundraiser and event. In the weeks leading up to the event, I strategically posted them on the gym’s social media accounts.
- Social Media Influencers: I had the owner strategically post both the short-form videos of him talking about the event and fundraiser. I also had him go live multiple times on Instagram.
- Internal Communications: I had the owner text over 200+ people, both current and former clients, a video of him talking candidly about the fundraiser and event with a link to learn more.
- Marketing Materials: I created an event flyer and posted it strategically around the gym for clients to see. I also created day-of-event materials.
- Event Calendars: I posted info about the event on every local media outlet’s event calendar.
- Website: I created an event page on the gym’s website which gave people a chance to learn more about Gamers Outreach, RSVP to the event, and donate directly online.
- Media Relations: I wrote a press release and pitched an interview before and after the event, which I sent to every major local media outlet.
- Event Management: I managed vendor setup, the raffle giveaway, and the clean-up of the event.
Below were the final results.
- Total Money Raised: $4,400.18
- Total People Attended: 27
Overall, the client was very happy. The total money raised saw a 25.72%+ increase from the original measurable objective and the total people attending the event saw a 35%+ increase from the original measurable objective. When it comes to media, The local Fresno Business Journal ran a small blurb, which I can correlate is the reason the fundraiser received an anonymous $1000 donation and was able to push the fundraiser over the original objective and donate a GO Kart to Valley Children’s Hospital.
This campaign won multiple awards in 2023.
- Public Relations Society of America “Image Awards” – Award of Excellence: Campaign of the Year
- Public Relations Society of America “Image Awards” – Award of Excellence: Community Relations
- Public Relations Society of America “Image Awards” – Award of Merit: Social Media
- Public Relations Society of America “Image Awards” – Award of Excellence: Special Event
- Public Relations Society of America “Image Awards” – Award of Excellence: News Release
- Public Relations Society of America “Image Awards” – Award of Excellence: Poster / Banner
- Public Relations Society of America “Image Awards” – Award of Excellence: Website
- Public Relations Society of America “Image Awards” – Award of Excellence: Video