- Client – Visalia Triathlon
- Industry – Sporting Event
- Date – 2018
The annual Visalia Triathlon or “VITRI” is held every year in the spring at El Diamante High School in Visalia, California. The event offers a 1-mile swim, 11-mile bike course, and 3-mile run. The 2018 event offered something very new as 100% of the proceeds will go to the ProYouth XL Program. It provides comprehensive expanded learning programs at the elementary, middle, and high school sites throughout Tulare and Monterey Counties.
Their target audience was people between the ages of 18 to 65 within the Central Valley who have an interest in triathlons, running, swimming, cycling. From there the goals were to;
- Create brand awareness through online ads towards the target audience.
- Build, engage and inform the target audience about the event through social media.
- Gain athlete entries for the event.
From there my measurable objectives were;
- Reach over 5,000 people within the target audience.
- Raise athlete entries from the previous year by 50%.
Below are the strategies and tactics that I used.
- Social Media Ad Buying: I created Facebook and Instagram ads with A/B testing. In each ad with different triathlon pictures from last year’s event.
- Online Monitoring: I monitored the Facebook page if anyone interacted with a post or had a question about the event.
- Event Photography: I took pictures of all three events and of as many triathletes participating as I could. The short-term idea was to get people excited about their participation and share the picture of themselves on their Facebook account and the long-term idea was to create new photos for next year’s marketing campaign for the event.
Below were the final results.
- Total Reach: 12,607
- Athlete Entries: 61.1%+ increase
Overall the client was very happy. Online reach saw a 152.14%+ increase from the original measurable objective. While athlete entries saw a 61.1%+ increase from the previous year. That is a 22.2%+ increase from the original measurable objective.
This campaign won an award.
- Public Relations Society of America “Image Awards” – Award of Merit: Social Media